top of page

About Us


About Us

Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama Baranagore

Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Baranagore has become an embodiment of the ideology ‘service and welfare through education’, since its initiation in 1912, on the auspicious day of Akshaya Tritiya. Since then, through selflessness and service to the mankind, this organization so successfully caters the spiritual genre, convened by Lord Sri Ramakrishna, in every possible way.

The foundation stone of this ashrama, as a ‘Brahmananda Balak-Ashrama’, was laid by Sri Jogindranath Thakur, an eminent freedom-fighter and disciple of Srimat Swami Brahmanandaji Maharaj, the first president of Ramakrishna order. Later it was shifted into a one storied building adjacent to Jaikrishna Mitra Kalibari at Kutighat in the name of, “Baranagar Ramakrishna Ashrama for Orphan”. Then, in 1924 the Ashrama was acquired by Belur Math as a branch centre and hence, renamed as “Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama , Baranagore”. On February 20, 1928, by the patronage of the late zaminders of Narali, Jessore, the Ashrama procured a land of 8 bigha and 8 chhatak beside Gopal Lal Tagore Road. It was the same Akshaya Tritiya on 11 May, 1929 the Ashrama was shifted to the plot.

The primary school, set up in the Ashrama premises in 1934, was sequentially upgraded to upper primary and then to lower secondary section in the year 1952. The multifaceted upper secondary wing of the institution was inaugurated in 1954 and it, henceforth got the recognition of ‘Madhyamik’ (Secondary). After a prolonged yet rigorous effort of 42 years, this institution has been elevated to the Higher Secondary level in 2018. The present curriculum, affiliated by WBCHSE, consists of Arts and Science stream, for the time being.   

11th May, 1998, on the auspicious Buddha Purnima, a parallel primary wing of the institution (from Class I to Class IV) was incepted under the jurisdiction of Ramakrishna Mission, Belur Math. This new segment was named ‘Ramakrishna Mission Centenary Primary School, Baranagore’ and was inaugurated by Revered Srimat Swami Lokeswaranandaji on the occasion of ‘Centenary Celebration’.

bottom of page